Metal detectors are technological sensors that are built to sense metals hidden underground. Modern sensors are able to work underwater. Most of these gadgets are complex but that need not worry you.
Parents with children who have developed an interest in the bounty hunting will want a lightweight gadget that excites the children without tiring them.
First time users and learners require a digitized control box that gives effective results. A manual guide is mostly included in the package and can be of great help to the beginner.
Below is our best pick of metal detectors that are beginner friendly.
1. RM RICOMAX Metal Detector
This gadget has digitized controls that are easy to interpret. The LCD control box comes with four metal target id that can distinctly identify iron, aluminum, gold, silver, copper, and many others in the all metals mode.
Two 9 volt alkaline batteries are required to run RM RICOMAX Metal Detector but you will have to buy them separately as they are not included in the package.
The coil is 10 inches and can detect metals that are 8inches deep. It is also waterproof. Searches can be done in water up to 3feet deep.
The coil is adjustable and can be used by both adults and kids. A loud indicator alerts you when the metal has been detected.
- It has an adjustable stem. Giving room for children to use with a lot of ease.
- The controls are digitized. Ensuring that you get accurate results within a short time.
- The coil is water resistant and can be submerged into water. Caution is needed against wetting the control box.
- It has an indicator that alerts the exact point of metals. The loud noise it gives makes sure you do not lose the location of the deposits.
- Headphones are not included in the package.
- They can only be submerged in water for 3 feet.
2. Garrett Ace 400 Metal Detector
If you are looking for a household brand then Garrett Ace 400 Metal Detector is your best mate. They have been makers of metal detectors for over 20 years.
It has 5 search modes that can detect iron, silver, gold, jewelry, and coins. It runs on A a batteries under a 10khz frequency.
The controls are digitized and a manual guide is included for instructions on how to operate it.
It has an adjustable arm strap that can fit both adults and kids. It comes with a free raincoat, free batteries, and a shovel.
High quality headphones are also included in the package. The electronic pin pointer indicates the location of your bounty.
- The package includes headphones and a raincoat.
- It comes with a digitized control interface.
- It has an adjustable arm strap.
- The frequencies are now adjustable and a two-year warranty tag is applied.
- It looks heavy and does not have a carry case.
- The coil cover was not included in the package.
3. Fisher F22 Weatherproof Metal Detector
This gadget is best used in iron metal searches, although it has a coin, jewelry and other artifacts modes.
Fisher F22 Weatherproof Metal Detector is waterproof and can be used underwater and on rugged terrain.
It has digitized controls that are not complex. It runs on two-AA batteries that can work up to 30 hours without fail. It operates on a 7kHz frequency
It has four search modes and nine target id. It is lightweight with around 2pounds on it.
The digital controls have memory saving capacity. The manufacturer offers a 5year warranty for Fisher F22 Weatherproof Metal Detector.
- It has an iron metal adjustable tone.
- It runs on 2 AA batteries that stay alive for 30 hours.
- It can withstand all harsh weather and all -terrain grounds.
- The controls are fully digital.
- Replacing the batteries after 30 hours of use is costly.
- Headphones are not included in the package.
4. Garrett ACE 300 Metal Detector
It uses a single frequency which makes it unsuitable for use under wet weather.
The coil is waterproof and can search a 7” by 10” area with 5 search modes.
The search modes include coins, jewelry, custom, relics, and zero modes; accuracy unchained.
Although the coil is waterproof, we do not recommend using it in wet soil as the density is bound to read false results.
Children and learners, Garrett ACE 300 Metal Detector is your best bet.
- The controls are digitized.
- A waterproof coil that can search a 7 by 10 area.
- It comes with 5 search modes.
- A perfect gift for metal hunters.
- The single frequency limits its usage under wet weather.
- The coil is waterproof but can not be used in wet soil.
5. Nokta Makro Simplex Metal Detector
This one is yours if you are looking for a metal detector that is waterproof and can be submerged in water up to 10 feet.
The LCD interface is digitized and it offers backlight that is perfect for night use. Nokta Makro Simplex Metal Detector has an in-built LED flashlight.
It has an all metals search mode with distinctive audio that indicates finds. A notch is included to sieve out sounds of unwanted finds.
The stem is adjustable while the coil is 11 inches long. The arm strap is adjustable for use by children.
It runs on a lithium battery and comes with a USB charging cable. It weighs about three pounds but it looks heavier. All hardware is included in the package plus a free simplex cap.
- It can be used underwater up to 10 feet.
- It can detect all kinds of metals with a discriminating notch.
- The controls are digitized. The LCD interface has keypad lighting and a LED flashlight
- It comes with high-quality headphones.
- The tones can be overwhelming at a go.
- The shaft was flimsy.
6. Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Metal Detector
If you are looking for a metal detector that has a variable tone breaking point then Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Metal Detector is your perfect choice.
This gadget is able to discriminate metals using its tone. A digitized metal detector that has an iron adjustable tone.
It runs on a nine voltage battery and weighs about three pounds. It is made in the USA.
It is collapsible and the manufacturer offers a 5-years warranty.
This clever gadget has a computerized ground balance that can be customized to manual use.
- It has a pinpoint mode that should direct you how far you should dig.
- It runs on one 9V battery.
- It is made in the USA and weighs about three pounds.
- The manufacturer offers a five-year warranty.
- It has small parts that are hazardous to children below three years.
- Headphones and the battery must be bought separately.
7. Minelab Equinox 600 Multi-IQ Metal Detector
This metal detector is your if you are looking for one that can be fully submerged in water.
A fully digitized control is Minelab Equinox 600 MultiIQ Metal Detector for you. It has multi frequencies that are able to work simultaneously without conflict.
It operates on two AA batteries that are rechargeable. This cut sout the cost of battery buying.
It has an 11inch coil and an adjustable arm strap. The LCD interface is adaptable to wireless audio like a Bluetooth.
This metal detector can detect metals in six custom modes. Each mode has two preset buttons that allow you to pick out the correct variable.
- This gadget can be converted into wireless audio and give efficient results.
- It has digitized controls.
- The coil is twice as long as the normal gadget.
- It has multi frequencies and can be used underwater.
- It has low battery life.
- You may have to buy headphones separately.
How To Choose Best Metal Detectors For Beginners
When shopping for your ultimate metal detector, there are several characteristics that you should look out for so that you can get the best results out of your bounty hunting
can be computerized. Having digitized controls will ensure that your gadget can withstand an area with heavy mineral deposits and give correct results.
that enhance your hunting success. A discriminating notch sieve out nonmetal audio leaving you with the cream of the crop. A keypad with backlight allows you to work well at night. It is important to look out for other important features like digitized control, search modes, and target id.
of your bounty hunting should be within the laid out laws by your local government. If you intend to hunt in your backyard, then you have nothing to worry about in terms of breaking the law. For more information, kindly visit your local government offices.
like the one used on radio allows users to map out a range of where mineral deposits may be found. The more the frequencies a gadget offers the higher your chances of zeroing into mineral deposits are. Opt for multi frequency gadgets that can run multi simultaneously without conflicting each other. Added features that can complement your frequency would be variable tone breaking point.
some detectors are fully submerged in water while others allow only the coil to a certain feet. Having one that can be submerged completely like Minelab Equinox 600 MultiIQ Metal Detector, gives you a wider range of hunting. However, you must know how to swim. Failure to which you may drown into oblivion. Hunting takes you on another level and you may forget that you are in water.
Adjus tability to
suit an individual size or height. The arm straps and the stem should have room to adjust if you are to introduce a child into bounty hunting.
used to operate these gadgets should sustain you for long periods. You may also want to get a power backup plan earlier. Most metal detectors are run by Alkaline batteries while the latest models run on lithium batteries.
Care and Maintenance
If you don’t intend to use your gadget frequently, it is wise to store it in a cool and dry place. Keep it dried or wiped after every use. This will ensure longevity and accuracy in your next bounty hunting.
should be your gate pass to not visiting the shops often to replace a faulty part. Two to five years warranties are a must have.
Finally, get a metal detector that you can use easily. Can you read and interpret the controls? Does the package have a reading manual? These are some of the questions that you should not walk out of the store with. You want your adventure to be memorable, use a simple gadget then later on advance to a more complex one.
The market is flooded with metal detectors and as a beginner you may get lost while choosing the right gadget to start your hobby off. We recommend Garrett brand. They have a wide range of detectors and have been major players in this industry the longest.However, the decision lies entirely with you. We hope our guideline may lead you to the best choice.
If your package arrives without headphones, you may have to buy high quality ones that are specifically meant for metal detecting. It would be wise to order one direct from a metal detecting company.
The price of your metal detector should not break your bank. Although cheap may not offer the best results. Since you are trying out this new hobby, it is best to start with a medium priced gadget then advance later.
When you have finally settled on your choice, it is time to go hunting. Before we go, it is worth mentioning that unless you intend to do a backyard hunting where no one will ask you questions, there are laws that govern both private and public land. It would be wise to first visit your local government offices and get information or a valid operating permit.
Now that you have all the information needed, have fun, and learn. You may never know what you will find unless you get your gear out and start hunting. Have a happy hunting adventure.