Cooktops function in conjunction with a stand-alone oven, which is mounted to an existing kitchen cabinet space. These cooktops will directly fit into countertops with the help of clips (spring clips) that are screwed to the edge of the countertops space.
Granite countertop needs a different manner of installation because it’s hard to drill into the material. There is also an enormous risk of damaging the granite countertop during the process of drilling. Nevertheless, installation of a cooktop in a granite countertop is a very easy task that you can ‘do-it-yourself’ as a kitchen improvement project. You will need, hot glue gun, acetone, rags, razor knife, hot glue sticks, a tube of clear silicone, and a caulk gun.
Installation of Standard Cooktops without the Help of Mounting Clips:
- Consider placing the new cooktop into the opening cut out of the granite countertop so as to ensure its fits properly. In case the cooktop doesn’t properly sit on the countertop with all its sides, there will be a need to adjust the hole so as to perfectly accommodate it.
- Consider dampening a rag with the acetone and then proceed and wipe around the cutout edge where it will meet your cooktop. You should repeat this for the cooktop bottom edge too. This will remove the film, debris, and dirt thereby assisting in providing a tight bond amid these two surfaces. Note: Acetone should be used in well-ventilated areas. You should also follow the label instruction and warning carefully.
- Now you can load the caulk gun with the silicone and then proceed and cut a ¼-inch opening at the end of the tube with the help of a the razor knife. Continue by applying a continuous bead of the silicone (pencil size) onto the countertop edge.
- Finish by placing the cooktop into position and then proceed by pressing it down firmly on all its edges so as to ensure a tight seal is provided. You should consider removing any excess silicone that might have squeezed out by the help of acetone and rage. Give it one day for the silicone to ‘cure’ before hooking any electrical or gas connections.
Installation of Cooktops with the Help of Mounting Clips:
- Start by dampening a rag with acetone and then wipe all the interior edges of the countertop cutout to remove the film, debris, and dirt.
- Proceed by applying a small amount of silicone, with the help of the caulk gun, to all the back sides of the mounting clips. You should leave a subtle space (without silicone) for the hot glue.
- With the help of a hot glue gun, consider applying a sufficient amount of hot glue to the back sides of your mounting clips. Continue by attaching the clips to the granite in the particular locations as per the instructions of the manufacturer. Allow for the silicone to ‘cure’, by giving it about 24 hours prior to installation of the cooktop.
- Finish by pressing the cooktop into the opening and then firmly press it down into both sides till it snaps perfectly into the mounting brackets.