Why Choose Best Saddle Pads
Saddle pads are cushions that stay between you, the rider, and the horse. They are placed on horsebacks to reduce friction that may lead to sores on the rider and the horse.
If a saddle pad moves while on the horse it causes friction and rolls, it is important to get the right-size saddle for your horse.
Saddle pads also act as pain absorbers to you too, if they roll the results on you the rider may be in pain.
The material used on them determines the kind of comfort you and your horse will get. Below is a list of our best picks for you to choose from.
1. Weaver Leather ContouredSaddle
This supersoft saddle pad reduces saddle rolls. When put right the saddle pad gives a massage feel to your horse under your weight.
The merino fleece gives a perfect one inch contour and also corrects one that is not right.
Weaver Leather Contoured Saddle has leather cutouts at the bottom and the fabric does not collect thorns.
This pad is anti-mold and is easy to clean. Proper storage when not in use is highly recommended.
The herculon fabric is made to stand up and the leather cutouts make the girth straps fit properly.
- The lining is made from Merino sheep fleece material.
- The top has a contour that reduces saddle rolls.
- It comes in different sizes that can fit a pony to a 15hh Paso Fino.
- It is beautiful and multicolored.
- The glue on leather weathers away with time.
- If you don’t like flashy and colored saddle pads, this will not impress you.
2. Roma Circle Quilt Pads
These super comfy quilted pads are made from poly-nylon. The girths are pure nylon.
Roma Circle Quilt Pads are aesthetic to look at and come in several vibrant colors for you to choose from.
The lining wicks away sweat, and moderates temperature on your horse. Nylon can be sweaty but Roma has made the nylon breathable with its rounded quilts.
They come in all sizes. Ponies get their pads as well. The girth has a touch tape billet straps on both sides.
This saddle pad can be used by both beginners and elite riders.
- They come in several vibrant colors to choose from.
- It is quilted, spongy, and comfortable.
- It has nylon girth straps.
- The overall fabric used is polyester.
- The fabric starts pilling after some time.
- The lining was not super soft.
3. ECP Western Saddle Pad
Are you looking for a modern breathable saddle pad for your horse? Look no further.
ECP Western Saddle Pad comes in a memory foam that is breathable and wicks away sweat.
This hypoallergenic pad is gentle on your skin. It is also adjustable to the desired position.
Two billet straps fasten the girth comfortably on your horse. The temperature regulating mechanism is a plus feature for your horse.
When washing, remove the memory foam and hand wash the other parts. Do not iron.
- The foam is adjustable to your desired position.
- It is made from hypoallergenic foam that is skin-friendly.
- It is breathable, regulates temperatures, and does not allow sweating.
- It is therapeutic and corrects contours.
- Do not machine wash it.
- The fabric cannot be iron.
4. Montana Saddle Southwestern
Let’s go to Montana with the Montana Saddle Southwestern. Renown for its horse culture, Montana is every rider’s dream travel place.
There’s no other better way of traveling to Montana than using Montana Saddle Southwestern.
It is made from pure wool and natural leather on the contour and sides. A suitable choice for a high withered horse.
It is breathable and the supersoft lining wicks away sweat. It has a cooling effect that regulates temperature on your horse.
- It is made from natural wool and natural leather.
- It absorbs sweat quickly and allows temperatures to cool underneath.
- The contour and bottom are bound with natural leather.
- The cooling effects allow your horse to stay comfortable and sober under harsh weather.
- The natural leather may not be a good choice for total vegetarians and animal lovers.
5. Southwestern OrthoRide Saddle
If you are looking for a saddle that fits well with a horse that has underdeveloped shoulder bones, Southwestern OrthoRide Saddle is your best bet.
This saddle pad is made from 100 percent wool in the interior while the top is fleece-like with contours of leather.
The lining provides shock absorption. A perfect partner for racing and team roping.
The contours are great for high withered horses as temperatures are regulated underneath the saddle pad.
This family-owned company offers great products that have been tested on their farms, giving you the cream of the crop.
- It is best suited for young horses.
- The interior lining is a hundred percent wool.
- It absorbs sweat, shock, and controls temperatures underneath.
- The top is fleece made and can be machinewashed.
- It does not have girth straps.
- The saddle pad is a bit shorter on the sides.
6. Exselle Wither Relief White 2 Inch
This pad comes in two series of short and long and in both black and white colors.
With 19 and 22 inches on them, Exselle Wither Relief White 2 Inch are made from a hundred percent.
The girth straps are made of polyester webbing which is tear-proof.
The lining is made of breathable wool with fur on top. It gives your horse a comfortable feel as the temperature is regulated underneath.
Hand washing is recommended because the fur is not machine washable as it wears out within the first cycle.
- A relief for horses with high withers. It gives a two-inch comfy feel.
- It is made from a hundred percent cotton.
- This pad is best washed in cool water.
- It is available in black and white colors.
- Both are too small for a normal horse.
- The white option looks bulky.
7. Kavallerie All-Purpose Fur Saddle
If you are looking for a saddle pad that is long on the back and on the sides then look no further.
Kavallerie All-Purpose Fur Saddle is quilted and has a breathable mesh on top.
The interior lining is made of durable polyester which prevents slipping and rolling.
This saddle pad is designed to give both the rider and the horse comfort. The long sides prevent friction on the horse.
It comes with a velcro strap that secures the saddle pad well onto the horse. It offers comfort to high withered horses.
- Made from nylon fabric and fur.
- The bottom half is quilted in a padded design.
- A breathable mesh is sewn in the middle which controls temperature and sweating.
- It is long on the sides well enough and covers the horse perfectly
- The nylon fabric is not good at wicking sweat away.
- It does not have straps at the bottom to hold it in one place.
8. ECP Cotton Correction Purpose Contoured
These saddle pads come in a variety of vibrant seven colors. ECP Cotton Correction Purpose Contoured.
Polyester webbing is done on the girth straps which makes it strong and durable.
It comes with four memory foam pockets to keep your variables safe and to adjust the foam.
The foam acts as a shock absorber between you and the horse. The foam also corrects contours.
It comes in ten vibrant colors to choose from and it has a luxurious look. Your horse will stand out using this saddle pad.
- This pad comes in several colors to choose from.
- It is made from memory foam that corrects contours.
- The fabric absorbs all shock.
- The package includes four pockets.
- The fabric may not provide too much cushioning.
- The girth straps of the saddle pad tend to fray and snap away.
How To Choose Best Saddle Pads
Getting the right size saddle pad for your horse reduces the chances of getting friction and sores. The saddle pad should match with your saddle type. The size falls if you want to buy a saddle pad for your kid, you should fall for a size that is suitable for your kid. For a dressage pad, the flaps should be longer.
For this aspect, gel, foam, or polyester batting are commonly used in the interior of a saddle pad. Too much thickness can also be a big disruption of saddle fitness. But for a sick horse, the thickness of the saddle pad should not be too thick.
Saddle pads come in different materials but the most common choices are cotton and fleece. This is because of their unique ability to wick. On the fleece, it may be synthetic or actual sheepskin or wool. They are less expensive and are easy to care for. The polyester fixed inside adds cushioning and shock absorption.
You need to match the horse contours with the underside of the saddle since you need to beware of the spine of the horse or the withers because they tend to be damaged when applied pressure on. On this aspect, you can even get a saddle pad that is specially made for horses that are highwithered or muttonwithered horses.
For saddle pads, there are three basic styles, square, shaped, and half pads. Half pads are versatile and can be used alone or also in conjunction with the shape and half pads. For dressers, they will use square pads while eventers use shaped pads.
What is the purpose of you buying a saddle pad? Pads should not be bought for the purpose of rectifying an uncomfortable saddle. A horse on condition that is not well, should use a custom fitting pad to protect it from painful pressure on its spine. There are also special saddle pads made or designed purposely for the underdeveloped horse that might be a viable option to improve the saddle fit.
As much as we humans sweat, so does the horse. You should go for a saddle pad that is ideal in drawing away heat to reduce the chances of your horse overheating and getting ill. The best resort is wool pad wicks that are good at performing a great job of reducing heat.
Horses do experience shocks at times. This happens when the rider tends to get heavier than the normal rate of weight. The weight of the rider applies much pressure on the spine. A wool fleece saddle pad should do the shock trick! With a wool fleece, the horse becomes less sore and bounces more quickly. The wool pads are great multitaskers since they dissipate heat and also absorb shock. The thickness acts as an excellent cushion between the saddle bars and the back of the horse.
Young horses and very old ones have delicate shoulder bones, it is important to get the right saddle pad. Horses get discomforts and avoid at all costs unpleasant rides.
If you realize a saddle pad is rolling off discontinue its usage until you get another or fasten the straps tighter.
Take your time in getting the right saddle pad, look into options that offer a return and replacement policies.
Have empathy for your horses and get the right gear. They feel pain as much as you do. Look out for yourself as well, uncomfortable saddle pads may cause sores down under.
Go for a saddle pad that is versatile on horses. The saddle pad should be compatible with other horses. Though it is more recommended to buy a saddle for each horse you have in your stable.
The saddle pad should also be durable and lasts long. Do not forget to keep your saddle pad clean and maintain it for a longer satisfying service without needing to buy another one each time.
Getting the right saddle pads for your horses will create a lasting relationship between the rider and the horse. Your horse will stay healthy and give you service as expected. You will enjoy riding and the horse will love carrying around. Have a funfilled day, won’t you?